Fedora 27 bootstrap?

One of my guys uses fedora 27 at his place, and he’s having a miserable time trying to get bk-7.3.2 built on this.
Any suggestions? He checked out the code from git, and the build fails because he doesn’t already have bk. He tries an earlier version of BK, and that fork-bombs on him.

I’m installing a fedora 27 workstation VM to see if I can get something going, but I wanted to get this thread started. I’ll be updating this with information as my efforts progress.

OK, sorry I can’t cut/paste. When I try and build, I get a compiler error about a redefinition/incompatibility with FILE on line 10 of fslayer/fslayer_open_stub.c

Also, the requirement about pcre3 is confusing, as that doesn’t appear to be a commonly-used package.

The problem is that the system definition of FILE comes from /usr/include/bits/types/FILE.h, and that definition conflicts with BK’s version in libc/stdio.h .

Ah. That problem sounds familiar. It was it common to all versions of Linux with a newer kernel. The fix for that is in the ‘dev’ repository at bk://bkbits.net/bk/dev

Also if you build for a checkout of the full repository then the pcre3 source is included. We didn’t include the optional components in the git repository.

OK.

I downloaded a VirtualBox VM for Fedora 27 from https://www.osboxes.org/fedora/.

In that machine, I rsync’d over a bk repository with a clone of bk://bkbits.net/bk/dev
Any machine with gcc v7 will need the new changes in bk to build. I haven’t released them because it doesn’t improve bk in any way and the existing installers work fine.

Next I installed the following packages:
yum install gcc make gperf bison flex groff pcre-devel libtomcrypt-devel libtommath-devel lz4-devel zlib-devel libXft-devel

After that just running make created working bk and make image creates an install image.

Also, I tried downloading the latest bk installer for Fedora from our webpage: http://www.bitkeeper.org/download.html

That installer ran and installed with no problems.

Also pushed an update to the dev repository:

2018-06-15 10:02:26-04:00, wscott@x99 +4 -0
  Add hints for Fedora
--- 1.9/README.md	2016-07-09 04:34:08 -07:00
+++ 1.10/README.md	2018-06-15 07:02:26 -07:00
@@ -78,6 +78,10 @@ packages are required:

sudo apt-get install make gperf groff bison flex libxft2-dev libtommath-dev libtomcrypt-dev libpcre3-dev zlib1g-dev liblz4-dev

+For Fedora and related versions of Linux the following works:
+
+  sudo yum install gcc make gperf bison flex groff pcre-devel libtomcrypt-devel libtommath-devel lz4-devel zlib-devel libXft-devel 
+
 Build using the following sequence (we build on 12 core systems;
 hence the -j12 sprinkled here and there):

Thanks a bunch, Wayne!