Modifying a repository configuration

I’m trying to make a change to the BitKeeper/etc/config file for a repository.

I’ve edit the file manually, but all my attempts to commit it have thus failed. Should I have edited it using a particular command? How do I change a repositories configuration?

You haven’t said what is failing or provided error messages… so I’ll answer blind.

The general sequence would be something like this:

bk edit BitKeeper/etc/config
<edit file>
bk citool  --> enter comments for both file and changeset then click commit

Command line only, you would use the following instead of citool:

bk delta -y"file comment" BitKeeper/etc/config
bk commit -y"changeset comment"

If you do not supply the -y option, you will be prompted for comments.

Of course, this all assumes you want to make this a changeset. For example, if you just wanted to make a personal preference configuration change, I would suggest that you put that into ~/.bk/config instead.

bk help config-etc for more info.

You haven’t said what is failing or provided error messages… so I’ll answer blind.

Yes, I’m sorry that was an awful bug report. What hadn’t occurred to me was that I would have to call bk edit BitKeeper/etc/config first.

What was (seemingly) the problem was that commit, citool and checkintool were telling me there were no changes.

Of course, this all assumes you want to make this a changeset. For example, if you just wanted to make a personal preference configuration change, I would suggest that you put that into ~/.bk/config instead.

No that is quite correct, I want to make this a changeset.

Yeah, a little confusing at first.

Personally, I run with checkout: edit! in my ~/.bk/config

That said there are good reasons (performance) to run in the other checkout modes.

But glad you’re sorted.